Monday, March 19, 2007

the conversion

Dear Della,

Saturday morning Dada and I woke up to you normal babble in your crib. We waited, as we always do, for the inevitable, "Mama, Mama, Mama?....Dada, Dada, Dada?". At which time, Dada goes in to get you (or forces you to get up 'cause lately you only want me to greet you in the morning).

We didn't hear your call so we just kept trying to sleep. The next thing we knew, you were in our bedroom! "How did she do that?", we asked each other. We didn't hear any load thuds. I asked you about it later, and you showed me with your hands. But, it still didn't shed any light on the situation.

We decided it was time for the conversion to the toddler bed. Actually, Dada and I talked about it, but in my mind, we hadn't actually made the decision. I woke up Sunday morning to Dada saying to you, "Are you ready for a big girl bed?". I got out of bed quickly at that point because I wasn't going to miss this experience and I wasn't quite sure I was emotionally ready for it. Is it okay to delay your child's growth and maturity to save your own feelings?

After some technical issues and the old piece from the crib falling down on your head (you pulled onto yourself), we were in business. You were so happy to be able to crawl in and out of the bed that all my issues faded away.

The transition has been so smooth! You have had no trouble going to sleep or getting up in the middle of the night. In fact, you have been sleeping in until 7:00am every day and even once until 8a! I love it! Dada and I think it has to do with the fact that you are now in charge of getting out bed. Who knows though?
We haven't quite figured out the morning routine yet as you seem unsure about where to go once you get up. We will keep working on that as I am not ready to give up our snuggle time in the mornings!

I love you,

Mama

No comments: