Friday, September 12, 2008

guts and insides

Dear Della,

Yesterday, we spent the day together enjoying the final days of summer. We went to the library, had lunch at Hollywood Burger Bar, purchased a used/new to you raincoat and cat rain boots, visited Children's Garden and played in the fountain at Jamison Square. By the time we met Daddy at the Lucky Lab, I was exhausted but happy.

You were so happy to be in the fountain. You basically threw your boots off and ran into the water screaming. You informed me that you were screaming because you were having fun. I spent most of the time reading my book and glancing up every 2 or 3 sentences to scan the throngs of children in search of your blue polka dotted swimsuit. I enjoyed watching the crowd too as almost everyone had a smile on there face, kids to adults.

At the library, we found the normal kid books, but we also found an anatomy book from the " 'dult " section. I picked it up for you as you have been talking about how babies breath and eat with your classroom at ChildRoots.
The first thing you asked, "Is there any pee?". You have since seen a cross section of a vertebrae that has the spinal cord in a yellow color. That will forever be known to you as pee. We took it into school today and you proudly showed it off to Teacher Jessica and Harry. On this picture, you informed him that it was, indeed, pee. He responded that it was the same color as pee. He is so good about just reflecting your thoughts and comments. But, of course, I had to say that, "No, it is just the inside of the back bones, blah, blah, blah." I don't think you really care what it actually represents. You also really like looking at the hand bones, putting your hand on it and noticing that the picture is "vewy tiny".

This comes on the heals of watching a Magic School Bus episode that shows the inside of a kid's digestive track. You have always been so fascinated with the Magic School Bus books, and I find it fascinating that you like science so well. It has reinforced my decision to change your preschool. You often tell me that you like your old school better and that "everyone hates you" at your new school. Well, you never talked about a snail's big foot (we even brought one in that is still living in your room) or uterus' or looked for potato bugs at your old school.

I love you,

Mama

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Erin,

I was so excited to see Lil D had a new post! It sounds like you girls had a fabulous day together. I think it is interesting that Della likes science...I love learning about what her preferences/fascinations/ideas are. It is a privilege to read about your lives!

Jen*
ps. I saw Burn After Reading today. Love it! Love Brad Pitt as a goofball.