Tuesday, February 17, 2009

P A N T S

Dear Della,

We spent this past weekend just the girls as Daddy was out of town. So, Granna came over and we went to breakfast at Old Wives' Tale. After that, we headed to the mall for some clothes shopping as you had informed me awhile ago that you were ready for some jeans!! Should I repeat that? Della June Baldwin wanted some pants! You have not voluntarily worn pants without it being 20 degrees or me reworking the word pants in a few years (save when Grammy bought you Christmans pants). Reworking as in, "Do you want to wear your ballet pants?" which are leggings with lace on the bottom or "Do you want to wear footless tights?".

Three stores and about $225 later (what can I say, I am a sucker for the cute, girl clothes and your pathetic sweet pleading), we headed for home. You got several new dresses, a few tshirts, a skirt, a red cardigan sweater with a hood (“like mama’s”), a swimsuit, some accessories and 3 PAIRS of PANTS that you chose!

As you had fallen asleep on the way home, Granna piled all of the booty on the dining room table. When you woke, you dove right in and began trying on the clothes. You started slowly with a dress but moved quickly into the pink Capri pants with a belt. Though, I need to add, the belt was not exactly what you were looking for. We ended up going back to a store that had a pink belt with butterflies at your insistence.

Once you had on the pants, belt and a shirt tucked in so that you could properly show off the belt in all its glory, you discovered that pants are a little uncomfortable. “They are tight!”, you whined. But, it didn’t deter you. You also followed through on your promise to wear the pants the next day and the next day and the next day though I managed to wash them prior to the second round. So proud!


One of the downsides to the magnificent pants/belt combo is the difficulty in working the belt. Last night, you had me help buckle the belt, but you insisted on stringing the tail-end through the loops yourself. “Wait for it, wait for it”, you mused while stringing.

I love you,

Mama

PS-While Daddy was gone, I invited you to sleep in my bed as a special treat. In the morning (which always is the best time for your little quips) after 2 nights, you told me this:

“I kinda miss my bed”

“You do? I can understand that. Do you want to sleep in your bed tonight?”

“NO!”

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Erin~

How I love your posts! I love the way you write....I imagine you thinking carefully about how to phrase something....choosing words that are very descriptive, painting a funny picture of your daughter's antics and general awesomeness. I always smile when I am reading through your post...I can hear you in my ear telling me the charming tales.

I didn't comment in FB...but the picture of Della at the theater is priceless. She is so cute I could eat her up!

Mommy said...

Ahhh....this explains why Laurel for the first time in FOREVER volunteered to wear a skirt! It must be a passing of the torch.