Monday, January 15, 2007

bilingual

Dear Della,

I have always wanted to be fluent in a foreign language but to date, I have not fulfilled that dream. I am only able to limp along in both French and Italian.

I have always thought it would be good for my child to be bilingual and have thought about putting you in schools that specialize in immersion programs like French or Spanish or the language of the country that will be taking over the world when you are an adult, Chinese. But, I probably won't do that either.

But, I think you have killed 2 birds with one stone for me. You are creating your own language, and I am learning it! Now, we will both be bilingual. Here is an example of your words that I have managed to figure out:

O - milk
Gow, gow - cat
Wooh, wooh - dog
Gaw, gaw - bird
Baba - sheep, lamb
Guh - light
Peep - please
Beebee - baby
Nigh, night - blanket
Ooh, ooh, aah, aah - monkey
Die - drawing, pen, crayon and the like
Nine - "one more", stairs, any number
Top - stop
Wawa - water
Nummy, nummy - food, eat
Da dough - ball
Dot dee - this/that
Dubby - ????
Uuh, uuh - everything else you don't know the word for

Some are easy and others don't make too much sense. But, thank you for fulfilling a dream for me, my sweet girl. Maybe we could call it Dellian, or Dellanese.

Love,

Mama

1 comment:

Mommy said...

Oh my goodness! Michael speaks Dellanese too! Or at least he calls lights "guh." You Baldwin kids are so clever.

I love you Della.

Aunt Phae