Friday, January 26, 2007

the birthday girl

Dear Della,

Last week you turned 2 years old! You would think I would take this time to poetically mark this memorable milestone. I am not a writer and my company probably doesn't want to pay me to do it and you don't like it when I work on the computer so you are not getting much.

But, when I think back of the past 2 years, a couple of noteworthy things come to mind. The first is the amount of processing I have done revolving around you and me. I mean at first it was all about sleep (for the both of us), when to feed you, how to stop you crying. Basically, how do I take care of you? Then, it moved into how to take care of you while still taking care of me. Who am I now that I have this amazing little thing that relies so much on me? How do I fit ME into your life? Your first birthday marked a milestone of being able to actually keep you happy and healthy! I have always equated it to getting my sea legs. Now, that time seems so long ago as I feel more grounded with this emerging life. Now, I process about how fun you are, how cute you look when you dance with your bottom shaking, worry about your words, hope you don't wake too early, embrace every morning when we snuggle. I could go on and on.

Which leads me to the second thing that comes to mind on your second birthday. I am completely unable to put into words the visceral emotions I have for you. And even if I did, I know you will not understand it unless you have your own little one (utterly cliche, I know). I have never cried so easily as I do when I think of you. I think you are the most beautiful and most lovely and most entertaining person ever! Your dad thinks so too!

I look forward to watching you grow, my sweet girl.


I love you,


Mama
PS-Compliment to Aunt Phae for the lovely picture!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I agree with your mom. You are amazing...and you and your cousins have made my dream of becoming a grammy the most wonderful time of my life. I love you dearly.

Grammy