Friday, October 27, 2006

i smell now

Dear Della-

I am sitting here at my desk on a beautiful Friday morning diligently trying to get lots of work done as I arrived late and will be leaving early for trick-or-treating at Dad's office. I am having trouble focusing as I keep getting wiffs of "yak" mixed with Febreez. It is not pleasant. I wonder if it really is the smell of puke or if I now associate that with Febreez since your dad and I have used it many a time to cover up your regurgitation (in the Westy, on our bed). Yuck, as you would say.

This morning, when Dad brought into bed, I thought I detected the acrid scent of vomit but I dismissed it as coming from the mattress. Upon closer detection, I realized you had dried puke in your hair. I wondered if you had thrown up in the middle of the night. I asked Dad about it and he confirmed it after closely inspecting your crib. A shower was definitely in order.

After a full wicked scrubbing in the shower with Dad, he dressed you in overalls for your Hobo costume and your orange rabbit shirt as it was "Black and orange" day at school. We continued on with our morning routine with "yummies" and "o" at the coffee table while you sat in your chair and watched Dragon Tails.

I was about ready and was in the middle of drying my freshly cut and colored hair when I heard a big crash. I knew exactly what happened and ran into the living room to find you splayed out on the floor, above your chair, crying. You have gotten a nasty habit of standing up in your chair and it keeps falling backwards. Should we continue to let you learn the hard way or should we take away the chair for awhile?

Anyway, I picked you up to hug and reassure you. Then, you threw up all over my shoulder and leg before I moved you and you continued to throw up on the floor. While I felt bad for you, I was actually more concerned about 1. my hair 2. my clothes 3. your clothes 4. cleaning up the mess 5. being late 6. you being sick.

Well, I managed to salvage my pants and your Hobo overalls by spot cleaning (because you have to wear them this afternoon) and spraying with Febreez followed by a bout in the dryer. Now, I am second guessing that decision. Maybe your teachers won't smell the foulness of barf.

Mama

No comments: